Monday, May 12, 2008

Shelter Me


When I cannot close my eyes

And the night goes on
Troubles taunt on every side
And my doubt is strong
Shelter me, shelter me
Let the thought of your compassion
Be my strength
Prince of Peace, shelter me
From the tempest of my unbelief
Mighty God who calmed the sea
Come and shelter me
Do your promises still stand?
Does your mercy cease?
By the power of your hand
Grant me my release

- Joe Beck/Billy Sprague/Bruce Carroll,
sung so beautifully by John McDermott


2 comments:

Frank said...

The song is beautiful and so is the photo! I clicked to enlarge it and saw a bird on the wing near the center. It is probably early morning; are the people who live there still asleep or have they already begun their day's work? What must it be like to see that view day after day, or listen to the sound of the water every night? So much material for reflection in both the words and the picture.

assistant potter said...

hi frank!

the song is from john mcdermott's album "great is thy faithfulness" that jane gave us. there are other songs in that cd, sung by him with his "hauntingly" soulful voice. as for the photo, it was taken at dusk, in a very serene and quiet place in davao called malipano island.

i love the words of the song, "let the thought of your compassion be my strength". it gives much consolation in moments of self-doubt. "mighty God who calmed the sea, come and shelter me" i can trustingly ask of Him, like a child seeking comfort... :=)