Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Begging to Fall in Love


I find that one of the richest prayers we can offer for others is to simply ask that she or he FALLS IN LOVE with the Lord. As in truly and genuinely falls in love with Him. Because a heart blessed with this grace will surely move in His direction. With all its freedom, such a heart will choose to stay only within the bounds of His great love and all that He wills. And that is already the best thing that can ever happen to a person.

I often beg for this grace for myself, for family members especially for my husband, children, mother, siblings and their families, close friends, others who seek help/guidance, as well as for those in religious life who also need our prayers. Whether or not changes are evident because of the prayers, there is always the strong faith that something good will surely happen because God surely can not refuse such a request. The wish that people fall in love (and stay in love) with Him is probably his single most desire too. The source of all Love can only surrender to such a begging! In time, the prayers will surely bear fruit.

There is a song that I often play when driving alone in the car because in such quiet moments, these words evoke much feeling of love for the Lord. Each line is so deep. I can imagine that the heart of the lyricist/composer, Fr. Arnel dC Aquino, S.J. must have been already captivated by His love to be able to write such a beautiful song. The words are great, but made many times even better when sung straight from the heart:


I Beg to Fall in Love with Thee, My Lord

I beg to fall in love with Thee, my Lord
With ev'ry breath of life I take.
I beg to fall in love with Thee, my Lord
Its ev'ry beat, I to Thee forsake.

For even if my thoughts fall short of knowing You,
And even if my will runs terrified,
Your passion thins the darkness of my soul
Sheds it light, breathes it life, stills the murmur of the night.

For even if my heart falls short of loving You,
And even if my spirit hides away,
Your love for me surpasses all my fear,
All I do, all I am, all that I can ever be.


2 comments:

maribel said...

what a wonderful idea! in our line of work we often find ourselves straining to help others find solutions to their problems yet here it is so simple so effective! all else falls in place.
thank you! may God continue to grace you with His love and inspiration that you may continue to share it with others. such thirst quenching drink in what can sometimes be a desert-like existence.

assistant potter said...

thank you too, maribel! like the title of h.nouwen's beautiful book, "Can You Drink the Cup?", may you continue to "drink in" His loving presence in the good work you are doing out there in CdO. take care :=)