Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Lovely Dwelling Place



The home my siblings and I grew up in was built in 1954. I lived there for 26 years, moved out when I got married, and came back with my husband and three children after 13 years, to take care of our mother. We then lived there for 15 years, until our own home was built and we moved out. Cumulatively, 41 years of my life was spent there.  

Very recently, my sister and I passed by the place, only to witness a very jarring sight. In just 11 months from the time the new owners took over, they demolished everything to the ground. The place looked like rubble. It was very painful to see, even if it really no longer belonged to our mother anymore.

I have not yet grieved this new reality. When I think of the place, so many memories flood my mind. We had lived and breathed the place. It was truly home.


In reminiscing the years gone, the music and lyrics of this song comes gently to mind as I think of this lovely place.

HOW LOVELY IS YOUR DWELLING PLACE
by Fr. Arnel Aquino S.J.

How lovely is your dwelling place,
Oh Lord, mighty God, Lord of all.

Even the lowly sparrow finds a home for her brood
And the swallow a nest for herself
Where she may lay her young
In your alters my King and my God.

Blessed are they whose dwelling
Is Your own, Lord of Peace.
Blest are they, refreshed by springs and by rain
When dryness daunts
Behold my shield, my King and my God.

I would forsake a thousand other days anywhere
If I can spend one day in Your courts,
Belong to You alone,
My strength are You alone.
My glory, my King and my God.

For the past many years this lovely dwelling place was filled with family, conversation, play, comings and goings of relatives and visitors, other household activity and the hustle and bustle of daily living. There was rarely a time when the house was empty of people, until it was sold.

Personally, this sanctuary was very much sacred space. Certain spots overlooking the garden areas would come alive and present themselves as prayer spaces. God's love could easily well up like a natural spring in my heart just by quiet gazing over grass, leaves and sky.  Flowers of different colors would appear and disappear. Close to twilight, the nostalgic smell of burning leaves would float, in tune with  cricket sounds, bird chirping and tree leaves rustling with the blowing wind. All of these were like a calm massage for the soul, making contemplation and conversation with Him soothing and natural. Yes, His Spirit was truly present. This was the gift of home. 

How much lovelier  could a dwelling place be, oh Lord, mighty God, Lord of all?  

+

 View from the street

 Young caballero

 Langka in front, ilang-ilang beside it

 Main entrance

 Living room

Mom's favorite station during the day

 Two rocking chairs

 Dining overlooking the garden

 Yellow bird chimes on the old willow tree

 Upstairs mini-corridor

 Mama Mary and Jesus looking over Mom

 Morning prayers by the cross on the wall

 Attempting a Trellis

 Tiny plot beside the terrace, with Our Lady

Our Lady of Guadalupe
with cross made from the star apple tree

 Special sampaguita and bougainvillea lane

 View of the garden from upstairs

 The old garge

Kitchen entrance

My childhood mantle
Climbing up and standing here
to see what goes on "over the bakod"

Main gate, inside going out

View when standing under the main entrance door

Rustling leaves

Prayer Space

 My Lord and my God

 Forget me not

Bougainvilla, red palm

Evening prayer

Bench along the car porch

 Second gate

 Basketball along the driveway

 Towards the garage

Wooden bench under the willow tree

Taken on the last day of ownership
before leaving the place for the very last time.

Home
1954 - 2015

Beautifully illustrated by Jordan Osbourne


Even the lowly sparrow finds a home for her brood
And the swallow a nest for herself
Where she may lay her young
In your alters my King and my God.

How lovely is your dwelling place,
Oh Lord, mighty God, Lord of all.

+


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very lovely tribute, Mag. Thank you for sharing. You have beautifully captured sentiments not easily expressed.

Unknown said...

I percieve a very clear spiritual connection that many take a lifetime to see. This piece gives me an understanding why a house is not a home. Thanks Mag. Abrazos, Karen S.